Hello,
Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> Nick Coghlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The problem is calls to Py_DECREF(self->attr) where some of the code
> > invoked by __del__ manages to find a way back around to reference
> > self->attr and gets access to a half-deleted object.
>
> Don't you mean "__del__ manages to find a way back around to self"?
> If so, how can that happen?  If such a reference path exists, the
> reference count of self should not be zero.  I don't understand why
> Py_CLEAR is necessary outside of tp_clear functions.

Of course we are speaking of different objects.

For example, in exception.c, BaseException_init() starts with the instruction:
    Py_DECREF(self->args);
this may call __del__ on self->args, which can execute arbitrary
python code - including access to the now-invalid "args" member of the
exception.

class S:
  def __del__(self):
     print e.args