Guido van Rossum wrote:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:35 AM, Barry Warsaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So I had planned to do a bunch of work last night looking at the release
blocker issues, but nature intervened.  A bunch of severe thunderstorms
knock out my 'net access until this morning.

I'll try to find some time during the day to look at the RB issues.
 Hopefully we can get Guido to look at them too and Pronounce on some of
them.  Guido please start with:

http://bugs.python.org/issue643841

I've added a comment. Let me know if anything I said is unclear.

The bugtracker seems to be offline atm - I'll reply there once I can get to it again (as well as switching this issue back to being a documentation one).

I don't think we're going to see a major clamor for a value-based delegation mixin in the standard library until people using classic classes for value-based delegation start making serious attempts to port to Py3k (where that approach is no longer available). At the moment, such classes only need to care about the methods they want to fiddle with, leaving everything else to __getattr__ based delegation.

I've pushed as hard as I'm personally willing to for this without convincing anyone else that it's worth doing, so I'll start working on a documentation patch for the language reference instead which explicitly splits the special methods into the following categories:

1. Method lookup MUST bypass __getattribute__, shadowing the attribute in the instance dictionary MUST NOT have any ill effects. (All tp_* C-level slots and slots looked up via _PyType_Lookup will fit into this category)

2. Method lookup MAY bypass __getattribute__, shadowing the attribute in the instance dictionary MAY have ill effects. (slots such as __enter__ and __exit__ that are looked up via normal attribute lookup in CPython will fit into this category)

3. Technically a subcategory of group 1, these are special methods which can affect the interpreter's behaviour by their mere definition on a type. (The __get__, __set__ and __delete__ descriptor protocol methods fall into this category)

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   |   Brisbane, Australia