Brett Cannon wrote:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 7:05 PM, Ben Finney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Scott Dial <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Why [introduce redundant test names]?

assert_not_less_than = assert_greater_than_or_equal
assert_not_greater_than = assert_less_than_or_equal
assert_not_less_than_or_equal = assert_greater_than
assert_not_greater_than_or_equal = assert_less_than
To answer the question: The above tests are logically equivalent, but
the failure message would be different, reporting failure in terms of
what the caller wanted to test.

I se your point though. I'd like to see what others think on this
issue.

Besides, ``assert_not_greater_than_or_equal`` is god-awful-long,
along with the complaints about PEP-8-ifying. I wonder if it would
be better to abbreviate these names with the *same name* that was
used for the attribute in the operator module. Let's not reinvent
the wheel here..
Interesting. So you advocate collapsing the above eight tests into the
following four:

   assert_lt
   assert_gt
   assert_le
   assert_ge

Is any of this really necessary? Isn't this the equivalent of
``assert_(a < b)``? It seems like the only thing you get out of this
is a nicer error message, but ``assert_(a < b, 'not %r <= %s' % (a,
b))`` is not that complex. And do these cases really come up that
often? I would want to see some numbers showing that these are really
necessary (in both usage and people even specifying an error message
in the first place).

I'm inclined to agree. It was part of a set of additions suggested by Guido. From here I think (as part of the unittest extensions that google maintains):

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2008-April/078702.html

I've used tests like that when implementing numeric objects, which has been several times - but only a tiny proportion of the tests I've written.

I wouldn't be sorry not to include them.

Michael

-Brett

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/