On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:
> I think that both 3.0 and 2.6 were rushed releases. 2.6 showed it in the
> inclusion (later recognizable as somewhat ill-advised so late in the
> day) of multiprocessing; 3.0 shows it in the very fact that this
> discussion has become necessary.

What about some kine of mechanism to "triage" 3rd party modules?
Something like:

module gains popularity -> the core team decides it's worthy -> the
module is included in the library
in some kind of "contrib"/"ext" package (like the future mechanism)
and for one major release stays
in that package (so developers don't have to rush fixing _all_ the
bugs they can while making a major
release) -> after (at least) one major release the module moves up one
level and it's considered stable and rock solid.

Meanwhile the documentation must say that the 3rd party contributed
module is not considered production
ready, though usable, until the release current + 1

I don't know if it feasible, if it's insane or what, it's just an idea I had.

--
Lawrence, http://oluyede.org - http://twitter.com/lawrenceoluyede
"It is difficult to get a man to understand