[Nick Coghlan]
The examples in the PEP used 'odict' (until recently), but the patch was
for OrderedDict.

As an experiment, try walking down the hall asking a few programmers who aren't in this conversion what they think collections.odict() is? Is it a class or function? What does it do? Can the English as second language folks guess what the o stands for? Is it a builtin or pure python? My guess is that the experiment will be informative.

When we use the class, we typically only spell-out the constructor once while actually using the returned object many times. So, have we really saved any typing?

In the context of other applications, which is clearer?

   json.loads(jtext, object_pairs_hook=odict)
   config = ConfigParser(dict_type=odict)

or

   json.loads(jtext, object_pairs_hook=OrderedDict)
   config = ConfigParser(dict_type=OrderedDict)

I find the former to be non-communicative.

Raymond