On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 00:07, Raymond Hettinger <pyt...@rcn.com> wrote:

> It seems weird to me that Collin's group can be working
> so hard just to get a percent or two improvement in specific cases for
> pickling while python-dev is readily entertaining a patch that slows down
> the entire language.

Collin's group has unfortunately seen that you cannot know the actual impact
of a change until you measure it. GCC performance, for instance, is
extremely unpredictable, and I can easily see a change like this proving to
have zero impact -- or even positive impact -- on most platforms because,
say, it warms the cache for the common case. I doubt it will, but you can't
*know* until you measure it.

--
Thomas Wouters <tho...@python.org>

spread!