On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 at 13:29, Benjamin Peterson wrote:
2009/4/22 Dirkjan Ochtman <dirk...@ochtman.nl>:
On 22/04/2009 14:20, gl...@divmod.com wrote:

-1. On UNIX, character data is not sufficient to represent paths. We
must, must, must continue to have a simple bytes interface to these
APIs. Covering it up in layers of obscure encoding hacks will not make
the problem go away, it will just make it harder to understand.

As a hg developer, I have to concur. Keeping bytes-based APIs intact would
make porting hg to py3k much, much easier. You may be able to imagine that
dealing with paths correctly cross-platform on a VCS is a major PITA, and
py3k is currently not helping the situation.

You're concerns are valid, but I don't see anything in the PEP about
removing the bytes APIs.

Yeah, but IIRC a complete set of bytes APIs doesn't exist yet in py3k.

--David