On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 at 21:21, "Martin v. L?wis" wrote:
Yeah, but IIRC a complete set of bytes APIs doesn't exist yet in py3k.

Define complete. I'm not aware of any interfaces wrt. file IO that are
lacking, so which ones were you thinking of?

Python doesn't currently provide a way to access environment variables
and command line arguments as bytes. With the PEP, such a way would
actually become available for applications that desire it.

Those are the two that I'm thinking of.

I think I understand your proposal better now after your example of
implementing listdir(bytes).  Putting it in the PEP would probably
be a good idea.  I personally don't have enough practice in actually
working with various encodings (or any understanding of unicode escapes)
to comment further.

--David