M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
"""
If the package really requires adding one or more directories on sys.path (e.g.
because it has not yet been structured to support dotted-name import), a "path
configuration file" named package.pth can be placed in either the site-python or
site-packages directory.
A typical installation should have no or very few .pth files or something is
wrong, and if you need to play with the search order, something is very wrong.
"""

I'll say! I think .pth files are absolute evil and I wish they could just be banned.

+1 on anything that makes them closer to going away or reduces the possibility of yet another similar feature from hurting the comprehensibility of a python setup.

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk