On approximately 5/6/2009 11:16 PM, came the following characters from the keyboard of Martin v. Löwis:
So are you proposing that I should rename the PEP 383 handler
to "utf_8b_encoder_invalid_codepoints"?

No, he's saying that your algorithm for choosing the PEP 383 handler
should have come up with that name, rather than utf8b.  But since PEP
383 applies to other codecs besides UTF-8, it should have a different
name.  And one that is less cumbersome than
"utf_8b_encoder_invalid_codepoints"

I'm still at a loss what name to give it, though. I understand that
I have to rename both error handlers, but I'm uncertain what I should
rename them to. So proposals that rename only one of them aren't
that helpful. It would be helpful if people would indicate support
for Antoine's proposal.

Wouldn't renaming the existing "surrogates" handler be an incompatible change, and thus inappropriate? I assume that is the second handler you are referring to?

"bytes-as-lone-surrogates"

That would be very descriptive of the decode case for PEP 383, but very long. One problem with the word "surrogates" is that anything you add to it makes it too long.

"bytes-ls"

This is short, but a meaningless as is -- however, adding the understanding via documentation that "ls" means "lone surrogates" would make it meaningful, and mnemonic.

--
Glenn -- http://nevcal.com/