The other benefit of the military using open source software is that
is can save the taxpayers money over the short and long term. For some
projects it is a small percentage of the total cost.  However, for
others it can be significant portion of the cost, so don't discount
its use or its benefit.  Saving time and money is a good thing.

Cheers,
Paul