On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 02:01:24 -0700, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

get_installed_files(local=False) -> iterator of (path, md5, size)

Will this also return the directories /created/ during the installation?
For example, will it also contain the entry "docutils" .. along with
"docutils/__init__.py"?

I don't think it's necessary to add "docutils" if
"docutils/__init__.py" is present

But for empty directories added during installation we should add the I guess.

So, I'll add a note.

It seems that you overlooked the below paragraph.

If not, how is the installer (pip, pypm, etc..) supposed to know which
directories to remove (docutils/) and which directories not to remove
(site-packages/, bin/, etc..)?

Quoting from the PEP:

[quote]'(...)uninstall uses the APIs described earlier and remove all unique files, as long as their hash didn't change. Then it removes empty directories left behind.'[endquote]

Let's assume that site-packages/ contained only one package 'Foo'. Will uninstall('Foo') remove the site-packages/ directory just because it turned out to be empty after removing 'Foo'? To explain, let's assume the RECORD of 'Foo' contains:

$ cat RECORD
Foo/__init__.py
Foo/bar/__init__.py
Foo/bar/test.py

and according to what you wrote in the PEP ("it removes empty directories left behind"):

$ python -m distutils.util.uninstall Foo
rm /.../site-packages/Foo/__init__.py
rm /.../site-packages/Foo/bar/__init__.py
rm /.../site-packages/Foo/bar/test.py
rm empty dir /.../site-packages/Foo/bar
rm empty dir /.../site-packages/Foo/
rm empty dir /.../site-packages/        # !!!!!

it also remove the site-packages directory!

Then there is ~/python26/bin, ~/python26/include, ~/python26/etc, etc.. Do you see my point?

btw: is PyPM a public project ?

If by 'public', you meant open source, then no.

-srid