Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis <at> pitrou.net>
wrote:

> > Speaking of the __doc__ property, I just noticed the following thing
on py3k:

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> >  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> > AttributeError: attribute '__doc__' of 'type' objects is not writable
> >
> > Is this deliberate?
>
> Yes.

I might add why I was asking this question. I was trying to demonstrate the use
of class decorators and the simplest example I found was to add a docstring to
the class. And I was surprised when I saw the following fail with the
aforementioned exception:

def classdeco(cls):
    cls.__doc__ = "decorated!"
    return cls