Sturla Molden wrote:
I'd just like to mention that the scientific community is highly dependent on NumPy. As long as NumPy is not ported to Py3k, migration is out of the question. Porting NumPy is not a trivial issue. It might take a complete rewrite of the whole C base using Cython. NumPy's ABI is not even PEP 3118 compliant. Changing the ABI for Py3k might break extension code written for NumPy using C. And scientists tend to write CPU-bound routines in languages like C and Fortran, not Python, so that is a major issue as well. If we port NumPy to Py3k, everyone using NumPy will have to port their C code to the new ABI. There are lot of people stuck with Python 2.x for this reason. It does not just affect individual scientists, but also large projects like IBM and CERN's blue brain and NASA's space telecope. So please, do not cancel 2.x support before we have ported NumPy, Matplotlib and most of their dependant extensions to Py3k.

What will it take to *start* the port? (Or is it already underway?) For many projects I fear that it is only the impending obsolescence (real rather than theoretical) of Python 2 that will convince projects to port.

Python 2.X is not about to 'stop working', but there will come a point where it will 'stop being worked on'.

All the best,

Michael
The community of scientists and engineers using Python is growing, but shutting down 2.x support might bring an end to that.

Sturla Molden

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/