Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> There is "freeze":
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/Freeze
>>
>> Which IIRC Robert Collins tried in the past, but didn't see a huge gain.
>> It at least tries to compile all of your python files to C files and
>> then build an executable out of that.
>
> "to C files" is a bit of an exaggeration, though. It embeds the byte
> code into the executable. When loading the byte code, Python still has
> to perform unmarshalling.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Sure, though it sounds quite similar to what they were mentioning with:
"the creation of hermetic Python "binaries", with all necessary modules
preloaded"

My understanding was that because 'stuff' happens at import time, there
isn't a lot that you can do to improve startup time. I guess it depends
on what sort of state you could persist safely. And, of course, what you
could get away with for a library would probably be different than what
you could do with a standalone app.

John
=:->