Eric Smith wrote:
This discussion probably belongs on the distutils list.

Yes, the discussion should be.

I possibly should clarify that this is "a list of questions that are of interest as a topic" and did not intend for them to be answered here.

I tried not to go into specific details for that reason. My apologies for any confusion.

Regards,
  Ron

Ron Adam wrote:
Can I make my efforts in developing a (module, package, script, or application) a lot easier if I keep certain things in mind? Are there any best practices I should keep in mind if I intend to distribute my work?

Are there changes that can be made to python that can make things easier for various combinations of the above?

Describe what you are doing in metadata and use (and/or create) the tools which consume that metadata. Such tools understand the platform specific issues.

Eric.