>> A question from someone writing C extension modules for python
>
> I doubt that this will have any impact on C extension developers.
>

>> If this is correct, I still have one worry: since I wouldn't want to
>> touch the python install most linux distributions ship or most
>> windows/mac users install (or what MS/Apple ships) I will simply have
>> no choice than working with the python variant that is installed.
>>
>> Is it anticipated that most linux distros and MS/Apple will ship the
>> python variant that comes with llvm/US? I suppose the goal of merging
>> llvm/US into python 3.x is this.
>
> Depends on the distro. My guess is that they will likely provide both as
> separate packages

Yes, it's clear that various packages will be available but what I was
asking about is the default python version that gets installed if a
user installs a vanilla version of a particular linux distro. It's a
big difference for developers of C extension modules to say "just
install this module and go" or "first download the python version
so-and-so and then install my module and go".

But as I understand from you and Nick, this will not be a problem for
C extension module authors.

> (unless one turns out to be clearly 'better'), and
> potentially even support their parallel installation. That's not
> unprecedented, just think of different JVM implementations (or even just
> different Python versions).
>

>> If this is the case then I, as a C extension author, will have no
>> choice than working with a python installation that includes llvm/US.
>> Which, as far as I undestand it, means dealing with C++ issues.
>
> I don't think so. Replacing the eval loop has no impact on the C-API
> commonly used by binary extensions. It may have an impact on programs that
> embed the Python interpreter, but not the other way round.
>
> Remember that you usually don't have to compile the Python interpreter
> yourself. Once it's a binary, it doesn't really matter anymore in what
> language(s) it was originally written.
>
>> Or the same pure C extension module compiled with C-only
>> compilers would work with llvm-US-python and cpython?
>
> That's to be expected.

Okay, that's great, basically Nick confirmed the same thing.

Cheers,
Daniel