On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
> After reading the discussion in the previous thread, signed in to #python
> and verified that the intro message starts with a lie about python3. I also
> verified that the official #python site links to "Python Commandment Don't
> use Python 3… yet". The excuse that the negative commandment site is not
> part of the official site is does not wash. The #python site maintainer
> choose that as the authoritative word on the topic "On using Python 2.x or
> Python 3.x".
>
> Since a fair, half-intelligent person would know that the usability of
> Python3 depends on the user, this all strikes as conscious sabotage.
>
> To me, this, along with other reports, is really ugly. I do not wish to
> fight such people; but I would rather ask python3 questions in a pro- rather
> than anti-python3 atmosphere. #python is certainly not a place that I would
> refer new people to.
>
> Given that the 'owners' of #python have been asked and refuse to remove
> their negative-opinion-stated-as-leading-headline-fact, it seems to me that
> we need a separate #python3 channel. The topic could be "Welcome to
> discussion of Python3, the latest, greated version of Python." The first
> link might be to the current stable Python3 docs. Hence the '!' in the
> subject line.
>
> HoweverI have very little experience with IRC and consequently have little
> idea what getting a permanent, owned, channel like #python entails. Hence
> the '?' that follows.
>
> What do others think?

Seems like it turns a disagreement into a power struggle that python-dev
is unlikely to win. If people here were interested in the irc, the irc culture
would never have become as disconnected from the core group as it has,
and even the most impassioned call isn't going to build an active
community overnight. Furthermore, if #python has 200 people in it and
#python3 is a ghost town, they can just tell anybody asking a python3
question to go to #python3 and snicker, reinforcing the widely held belief
that python3 itself is a failure. It also runs the risk of hardening their
existing position, and in any event begins the process of fracturing the
community at a point where 3.x is probably not going to come out on top.

Bottom line, what I'd really like to do is kick them all off of #python, but
practically I see very little that can be done to rectify the situation at this
point.

Geremy Condra