On 07/07/2010 17:06, Shashwat Anand wrote:

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:24 PM, C. Titus Brown <c...@msu.edu <mailto:c...@msu.edu>> wrote:

    Hi all,

    over on the fellowship o' the packaging mailing list, one of our
    GSoC students
    (merwok) asked about how much formatting info should go into
    Python stdlib
    docstrings.  Right now the stdlib docstrings are primarily text,
    AFAIK; but
    with the switch to Sphinx for the official Python docs, should we
    permit
    ReST-general and/or Sphinx-specific markup in docstrings?

    Hmm, I don't actually see that the stdlib docstrings are imported
    into the
    Python documentation anywhere, so maybe the use of Sphinx isn't that
    relevant.  But how about ReST in general?

So will we be able to use .__docs__ within python interpretor, which is quite handy feature.
>>> print(os.getcwd.__doc__)
getcwd() -> path

Return a string representing the current working directory.
Also some python interpretors like bpython uses it ; a snapshot here - http://cl.ly/c5bb3be4a01d9d44732f
So will it be ok to break them ?

Using ReST won't *break* these tools, but may make the output less readable.

I would say that the major use of docstrings is for interactive help - so interactive readability should be *the most important* (but perhaps not only) factor when considering how to format standard library docstrings.

Michael

    See

    http://sphinx.pocoo.org/markup/index.html

    for sphinx-specific markup constructs.

    thanks,
    --titus
    --
    C. Titus Brown, c...@msu.edu <mailto:c...@msu.edu>

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of your
employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all
NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS
AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors,
agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS
on behalf of your employer.