> I would like to propose removing IDLE from the standard library.

-1000.   From the Python training department, I would like to say that this
would be a horrible idea.   Having taught numerous on-site training courses for
Python, the one thing that I've learned is that you never know what you're
going to get when you show up to teach a course.   More often than not, you're
thrown into some training room with a bunch of PCs, operated by someone who
doesn't know anything about Python at all, and who had a hard enough time
installing it in the first place.    The fact that IDLE comes with Python means
that even in such situations, as long as Python has been installed somewhere,
there's going to be at least one halfway-reasonable environment for working
with it (although I suppose there are some people who would still prefer to use
the Windows command shell and Notepad).

For what it's worth, I think IDLE works fine as a development environment,
despite the fact that it has some flaky bits.    The most annoying issue that I
encounter in classes is people starting IDLE by right-clicking on files.  This
starts up IDLE without its subprocess and causes all sorts of bizarre problems
related to the environment (e.g., restarting, module imports, etc.).  Other
than that, it's fine.

Cheers,
Dave