Stephen Hansen <apt.shan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com> wrote:
>
> > Stephen Hansen wrote:
> > > On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Guilherme Polo <ggp...@gmail.com
> > > <mailto:ggp...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > >     By "never had a problem" do you mean using some of the latest
> > versions
> > >     ? Here, running "idle" from a mac terminal and trying to type: print
> > >     "hi" crashes when entering the quotation mark.
> > >

> > > Huh? Works fine for me. Python 2.6.1, OSX 10.6.3, intel.
> > >
> > One of the good things about the python-dev community is its commitment
> > to test-driven development. If you are prepared to define "fine" as
> > 'successfully runs \'print "hello"\'' then I guess we should be
> > perfectly happy about IDLE.
> >

> Er, how hostile.
>
> My point is, the poster made an assertion-- that you couldn't do the simple
> act as launching idle from a command line, and printing Hi. Maybe they
> can't, I have no idea.
>
> I know I can. I know that  I have also opened random python files, saved
> them, and ran them with IDLE. I don't use IDLE beyond that though: I live in
> TextMate on my mac.
>
> My point was not, "IDLE is perfect". My point was, "You've claimed you can't
> even print out a word in IDLE, so its utterly and completely non-functional"
> -- and that assertion surprises me and I challenge.

Steve, you encouraged me to try it again.  From an xterm on OS X 10.5.8,
it launches fine (long as you know where it is --
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/idle).
Seems to work OK for what it is, too.  Same for Terminal.  When I start
it from the *shell* buffer in Cocoa GNU Emacs, though, the idle window
pops up under the Emacs window, which is why I didn't see it over the
weekend.

Bill