On Mon, Jul 12 2010, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 7/12/2010 5:43 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

>>> On my xp machine with 3.1.2, it edit .py opens with notepad. Perhaps the
>>> installer just copies forward the association from long ago, before IDLE
>>> was available, or at least so usable. I have thought of changing that,
>>> but I do not know what the replacement incantation would be.
>>
>> There should be an "Edit with IDLE" (sic) context menu item.
>
> I agree, and thought about requesting such, but there is not and never
> has been for me that I know of. Actually, I would like Edit with IDLE
> x.y and Run with x.y so it is easy to test a file with different
> versions.
>
> XP with updates, install for everyone, make install the default Python.

It should be the second item on the right click context menu when
hovering over a .py.  If not, check your Windows Explorer / Tools /
Folder Options / File Types / Advanced.  There should be an "Edit with
IDLE" in the dialog selection box.  Perhaps you overrode it at some
point.

I've found that whatever version of IDLE is installed last grabs this
function.

If you build from svn, you don't get it, of course, unless you set it
manually.  And, you can use the manual setting to select a specific
Python/IDLE version.

> Should I open a tracker issue?

No, it's your system configuration, 99% probable.

--
KBK