On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Ron Adam <r...@ronadam.com> wrote:

> There might be another alternative.
>
> Both idle and pydoc are applications (are there others?) that are in the
> standard library.  As such, they or parts of them, are possibly importable
> to other projects.  That restricts changes because a committer needs to
> consider the chances that a change may break something else.
>
> I suggest they be moved out of the lib directory, but still be included
> with python.  (Possibly in the tools directory.)  That removes some of the
> backward compatibility restrictions or at least makes it clear there isn't a
> need for backward compatibility.

I also like this idea.  This means Python comes with an IDE "out of he box"
but without the overhead of a management and release process that is built
for something very different than a GUI program (the standard library).
This would mean that IDLE would be in site-packages, could easily be
upgraded using normal tools, and maybe most importantly it could have its
own community tools and development process that is more casual (and can
more easily integrate new contributors) and higher velocity of changes and
releases.  Python releases would then ship the most recent stable release of
IDLE.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org