On 12/07/2010 19:21, Ian Bicking wrote:
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Ron Adam <r...@ronadam.com <mailto:r...@ronadam.com>> wrote:

    There might be another alternative.

    Both idle and pydoc are applications (are there others?) that are
    in the standard library.  As such, they or parts of them, are
    possibly importable to other projects.  That restricts changes
    because a committer needs to consider the chances that a change
    may break something else.

    I suggest they be moved out of the lib directory, but still be
    included with python.  (Possibly in the tools directory.)  That
    removes some of the backward compatibility restrictions or at
    least makes it clear there isn't a need for backward compatibility.

I also like this idea. This means Python comes with an IDE "out of he box" but without the overhead of a management and release process that is built for something very different than a GUI program (the standard library). This would mean that IDLE would be in site-packages, could easily be upgraded using normal tools, and maybe most importantly it could have its own community tools and development process that is more casual (and can more easily integrate new contributors) and higher velocity of changes and releases. Python releases would then ship the most recent stable release of IDLE.

IDLE itself is probably stable enough that being able to "upgrade in place" is not a high priority. That could change based on this thread of course.

I would *really* support this approach with "pip" once distutils2 is complete and integrated into the standard library. I would really like Python to come with a capable package manager "out of the box" but understand your reluctance to tie pip to the Python release schedule. Having pip installed into site-packages by default, so that it *can* be upgraded in place, would be win-win as far as I can tell. Slight thread hijacking I realise... :-)

All the best,

Michael

--
Ian Bicking  | http://blog.ianbicking.org

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree, on behalf of
your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any
and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap,
clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and
acceptable use policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without
prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you
have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your
employer.