On 7/14/2010 4:10 AM, Georg Brandl wrote:

Sure, and if it was work time, we probably would do this ;).  As it is
right now, this is volunteer time, and I would say that we're entitled
to do whatever helps us getting done the (not always exciting) work,
and our IRC crap talk, if that's what it is, happens to be among that.

Aha! IRC ('chat') is like a social hour or cocktail party, with multiple simultaneous conversations. Some people must like such events and even find relaxing. I tend to find them uncomfortable and a bit of a chore to mentally process, at least until I can get deep enough into a conversation with 1 or 2 people to tune everyone else out. So, while a bit of business *might* get conducted, that is not the primary purpose.

So I can see that pushing to make it a business meeting would not be too welcome. What I would like is an online sprint with a temporary #python-triage channel, with at least one commit-developer present.

Pending that, is there any time of day when more people with commit privileges are likely to be present.

The other problem I have is being dropped or timed out, and not having/knowing a way to get auto-reconnected to the channel. Thus, I could miss a response even if I do get one.

--
Terry Jan Reedy