Am 11.07.2010 20:59, schrieb Glyph Lefkowitz:

> On Jul 11, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>>> Initially (five years ago!) I tried to overcome these issues by
>>> improving IDLE, solving problems and adding a few key features.
>>> Without going into details, suffice to say that IDLE hasn't improved
>>> much since 2005 despite my efforts. For example, see
>>> http://bugs.python.org/issue1529142, where it took nearly 3 years to
>>> fix a major issue from the moment I posted the first workaround. For
>>> another example, see http://bugs.python.org/issue3068, where I posted
>>> a patch for an extension configuration dialog over two years ago, and
>>> it hasn't received as much as a sneeze in response.
>>
>> I can understand that this is frustrating, but please understand that
>> this is not specific to your patches, or to IDLE. Many other patches on
>> bugs.python.org <http://bugs.python.org> remain unreviewed for many years.
>> That's because many of
>> the issues are really tricky, and there are very few people who both
>> have the time and the expertise to evaluate them.
>
> This problem seems to me to be the root cause here.
>
> Guido proposes to give someone interested in IDLE commit access, and hopefully
> that will help in this particular area.  But, as I recall, at the last
> language
> summit there was quite a bit of discussion about how to address the broader
> issue of patches falling into a black hole.  Is anybody working on it?
>
> (This seems to me like an area where a judicious application of PSF funds
> might
> help; if every single bug were actively triaged and responded to, even if it
> weren't reviewed, and patch contributors were directed to take specific steps
> elicit a response or a review, the fact that patch reviews take a while might
> not be so bad.)

Honestly, how would you feel as a committer to have scores of issues assigned
to you -- as a consequence of speedy triage -- knowing that you have to invest
potentially hours of volunteer time into them, while the person doing the
triaging is done with the bug in a few minutes and paid for it?  I'd feel a
little bit duped.

Georg