On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 06:02:33PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Oleg Broytman writes:
>  > On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 07:28:24PM -0600, average wrote:
>  > > As to your question of how best to handle inquiries from the blue or
>  > > "noisy questions", I personally prefer the following (only slightly
>  > > tongue-in-cheek):
>  > >
>  > > ...After a sufficient period of waiting, say a day or two with no
> response:
>  >
>  >    Ok, I'll wait a bit longer.
>
> I don't think that's a good idea.  It just encourages people to give a
> response on python-dev plus follow-ups, and if they give an answer
> without saying "you'd better ask this on comp.lang.python", when you
> do, you look like a netcop rather than being helpful.

   Yes, that's a kind of a problem. Not a big one - I live in the "wrong"
time zone and can afford to wait a few hours. Certainly not a few days.

> The mail you originally sent was sufficiently polite and clear IMO,
> but anything can be improved and I'm glad you took up the suggestions
> on the wording.
>
> OTOH I think as quick as possible an answer is a good idea here.  It
> saves the intended audience the thought about whether to reply or not,
> and an instant, constructive answer says that somebody cares.  The
> message should be "The people who will answer your question on
> python-dev are also on comp.lang.python, as well as many more (you may
> get a faster, and probably more complete, answer on comp.lang.python).
> The people on python-dev don't need to see the answer (they already
> know it), but the people on comp.lang.python are likely to be happy to
> learn it."

   Thank you. I'll think how to add something like this so that my
boilerplate wouldn't become too big,

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytman            http://phd.pp.ru/            p...@phd.pp.ru