> Given that this came out rather unfortunately (even if the end result
> is the best that could have happened) I would recommend that in the
> future more attention is paid to "documenting" publicly that someone's
> being booted out was inevitable, by an exchange of messages on
> python-dev (or python-committers if we want to limit distribution).
> And no, I don't think that IRC (where I suspect this happened) is
> sufficient.

While the community should be informed in public, I think that the
actual revocation of privileges should happen in private. People
getting such a "blue letter" often react overly negative, and then
regret that their response is recorded in the public.

The only downside of this approach is that people may feel that this
is a unilateral decision by one committer, then appeal to you
(I'm sure you recall cases that went that way :-).

Also, I think it would be better to ask the contributor to step back
"on his own" (acknowledging that this isn't really voluntarily), instead
of revoking privileges and then informing about that decision.

Regards,
Martin