On Oct 19, 2010, at 03:53 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:

>Seven months after my first commit related to this issue, the full test suite
>of Python 3.2 pass with ASCII, ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 locale encodings in a non-
>ascii source directory. It means that Python 3.2 now process correctly
>filenames in all modules, build scripts and other utilities, with any locale
>encoding.

Very impressive.  Congratulations, and thanks for following through on what
must have been some tricky work in many of Python's deep dark corners.

Going forward, is there adequate documentation, guidelines, and safeguards for
future coders so that they Do The Right Thing with new code?  Perhaps a short
How To in the standard documentation would be helpful, with links to it from
any old/bad API calls?

>The most difficult part was to debug Python initialization (Py_InitializeEx
>and calculate_path) and the import machinery (import.c, zipimport.c), because
>gdb does sometimes crash (for various reasons) and because  the import
>machinery is fragile and difficult to understand.

You are also a master of the understatement! :)

-Barry