On 03/11/2010 19:48, Jesse Noller wrote:
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Antoine Pitrou<solip...@pitrou.net>  wrote:
On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 19:26:53 +0000
Michael Foord<fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk>  wrote:
Antoine is firmly of the opinion that making TestCase instances
unpickleable is a feature...
Apparently you didn't really understand me. I'm of the opinion that
making TestCase instances pickleable is useless if that pickling
doesn't have well-defined semantics. And I wonder what the semantics of
pickling a TestCase could be, and what the use cases are.

Regards

Antoine.

Splitting groups of tests to run in parallel via multiple processes is
a pretty good use case.

That's something I've been thinking about a lot (and talking to Holger about) for the unittest plugins. I definitely won't be doing it with pickles but as Antoine says, sending test names to the subprocesses. You really want tests run in a child process to behave differently and it makes sense to set them up inside the child process.

All the best,

Michael Foord

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

READ CAREFULLY. By accepting and reading this email you agree,
on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations
and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements,
licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap,
confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use
policies (”BOGUS AGREEMENTS”) that I have entered into with your
employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in
perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges.
You further represent that you have the authority to release me
from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.