On 12/2/2010 6:54 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM, M.-A. Lemburg<m...@egenix.com>  wrote:
..
Some examples:

http://www.bdl.gov.lb/circ/intpdf/int123.pdf

I looked at this one more closely.  While I cannot understand what it
says, It appears that Arabic numerals are used in dates.   It looks
like Python want be able to deal with those:

When I travelled in S. Asia around 25 years ago, arabic and indic numerals were in obvious use in stores, road signs, and banks (as with money exchange receipts). I learned the digits partly for self-protestions ;-). I have no real idea of what is done *now* in computerized business, but I assume the native digits are used.

It may well be that there is no Python software yet that operates with native digits. The lack of direct output capability would hinder that. Of course, someone could run both input and output through language-specific str.translate digit translators.

datetime.strptime('١٩٩٩/١٠/٢٩', '%Y/%m/%d')

Googling ١٩٩٩ gets about 83,000 hits.
..
ValueError: time data '١٩٩٩/١٠/٢٩' does not match format '%Y/%m/%d'

Interestingly,

datetime.strptime('١٩٩٩', '%Y')
datetime.datetime(1999, 1, 1, 0, 0)

which further suggests that support of such numerals is accidental.

As I think more about it, though I am becoming less avert to accepting
these numerals for base 10 integers.

Both input and output are needed for educational programming, though translation tables might be enough.

>  Integers can be easily extracted
from text using simple regex and '\d' accepts all category Nd
characters.  I would require though that all digits be from the same
block, which is not hard because Unicode now promises to only have
them in contiguous blocks of 10.

That seems sensible.

> This rule seems to address some of
security issues because it is unlikely that a system that can display
some of the local digits would not be able to display all of them
properly.

I still don't think it makes any sense to accept them in float().

For the present, I would pretty well agree with that, at least until we know more.

You have raised an important issue. It is a bit of a chicken and egg problem though. We will not really know what is needed until Python is used more in non-english/non-euro contexts, while such usage may await better support.

--
Terry Jan Reedy