On 19/01/2011 11:35, Nick Coghlan wrote:
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 5:32 AM,<s...@pobox.com>  wrote:
The odds that someone will remember the syntax for the diff command for the
VCS are much higher than the revert command.  My guess is "diff" is executed
more often than any other version control commands except "update" and
"commit", and far more often than "revert".  Personally, I'm not sure I've
ever used "revert" more than a handful of times in my entire professional
lifetime.

I realize the world is passing me by and that I'm rapidly turning into a
dinosaur w.r.t. distributed version control, but as you write/update the
developer's guide remember that proficiency in Python does not necessarily
equate to proficiency in version control systems, especially with the less
frequently used commands.  I personally would prefer that more general
commands and concepts be used where possible so that newcomers not be put
off unnecessarily by the complexity of version control.
Interesting. I almost *never* reverse patches - I always use the SVN
revert command.

Usually, this is because I will have edited the source tree since
applying the patch. Reversion has the advantage of not getting
confused by any additional changes. I also usually use "svn diff" to
save a copy before I revert in case I change my mind.

Ditto, same here. For me (by no stretch of the imagination an "expert" VCS user) the revert commands (of svn, Hg and bzr) are basically straightforward (and cross-platform). To me it is tinkering with the patch command that is arcane...

All the best,

Michael

Cheers,
Nick.