On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 04:39:39PM +0100, Victor Stinner wrote:
> I missed something: VFAT stores filenames as unicode (whereas FAT only
> supports byte filenames). Well, VFAT stores filenames twice: as a 8+3 byte
> strings and as a 255 unicode (UTF-16-LE) string (UTF-16-LE).
>
> On which OS do you access this VFAT file system? On Windows, you have two
> APIs: bytes (*A) and wide character (*W). If you use the wide character,
> there
> is explicit encoding at all. Linux has two mount options to control unicode
> on
> a VFAT filesystem: "codepage" for the byte filenames (use Shift JIS here) and
> "iocharset" for the unicode filenames (I don't understand this option).

   AFAIU, `codepage` is "remote charset" while `iocharset` is "local
charset". I.e., to mount windows-1251 filesystem to my linux with koi8-r
locale I use codepage=cp866,iocharset=koi8-r (cp866 is OEM encoding for
cp1251 ANSI).

Oleg.
--
     Oleg Broytman            http://phdru.name/            p...@phdru.name