"Martin v. Löwis", 29.01.2011 10:05:
None of the functions in this PEP become part of the stable ABI.

I think that's only part of the truth. This PEP can potentially have an
impact on the stable ABI in the sense that the build-time size of
Py_UNICODE may no longer be important for extensions that work on
unicode buffers in the future as long as they only use the 'str' pointer
and not 'wstr'.

Py_UNICODE isn't part of the stable ABI, so it wasn't important for
extensions using the stable ABI before - so really no change here.

I know, that's not what I meant. But this PEP would enable a C API that provides direct access to the underlying buffer. Just as is currently provided for the Py_UNICODE array, but with a stable ABI because the buffer type won't change based on build time options.

OTOH, one could argue that this is already partly provided by the generic buffer API.

Stefan