I would like the next release called 3.2.0 rather than just 3.2.

'x.y' is known to be ambiguous and confusing.

In most actual usages, I believe, it refers to the latest x.y.z release. On the site, the 'x.y' docs are almost always the latest version of the docs (actually x.y.z+additional fixes). In discussions on python-list, for instance, advice to use 'x.y' means to download and use the latest x.y.z release, not the initial x.y(.0) release. Similarly on the tracker, 'what happens with x.y' means the same.

So the alternate use of 'x.y' to mean x.y(.0) is both confusing and correctable, at least for the future.

--
Terry Jan Reedy