On 05/03/2011 00:47, Mark Hammond wrote:
On 5/03/2011 8:21 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
As for Windows support: we currently don't install a python3.exe binary,
let alone python2.exe or pythonw2.exe (or is that python2w.exe?). I'll
adjust the installer if the PEP asks me to. For the reasons discussed,
I'm -0 on the change (i.e. double-clicking .py will continue to launch
the most-recently installed Python, rather than the "right" one, and
setting PYTHONPATH will continue to break installations).

I agree with the -0 - I simply don't think it will, in practice, make anyone's life much easier. To run python2 and python3 based scripts in the same environment already requires some manual work by the machine owner (both directories will need to be added to the path) so the additional burden of some other steps (eg, .bat files, doskey alaises etc) doesn't seem that great. There is also a small risk of confusion - people may believe python.exe and python2.exe/python3.exe have different purposes and be confused about when to use which.

In order to follow the most basic of Python tutorials new users do have to manually add their Python install to the PATH. This is unfortunate and should be addressed as a separate issue.

I don't see this as a good reason for not taking additional steps to support multiple versions side-by-side on Windows.

Having python2.x / python3.x binaries isn't as confusing for users on other platforms I don't see why it should be on Windows.

If we add "versioned binaries" then users manually adding their Python install to the PATH see a benefit; they can specify the version of Python without additional work on their part. If we later add support for automatically adding Python installs to the PATH (optionally - preferably on by default) then all users who use the command line see a benefit.

All the best,

Michael Foord

I think this discussion should be divorced from this PEP and taken up with the discussion about the PATH and the "last installed wins" issue Martin mentions - only all of them taken together will "fix" this issue - not that I personally consider it particularly broken - more like "sub-optimal" :)

Cheers,

Mark

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil