On 06/03/2011 21:36, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
I should've mentioned that I'd like a consensus (or a lack of protest)
on the changes related to these snippets:
[...]
-"Exclusions of MS Windows"

I think you won't get consensus on that: there are strong proponents and strong opponents (I think Mark being a strong proponent of such exclusion, and Michael being a strong opponent).

Guido said he would like to see the PEP address Windows, although that requires *some* consensus.

Paul Moore was +1 on Windows being included. Mark did accept that some of the changes were "desirable", but was also concerned they didn't address all the issues on Windows. I *would* like to see all the issues addressed but I think that is outside the scope of this PEP.

The solution I would like to see for Windows, with other issues to be addressed as issues in the bug tracker:

Create version specific (i.e. python32.exe / python32w.exe) binaries *plus* a python3.exe / python3w.exe in the installer. Similar for Python 2.7 if we decide to modify 2.7 for the other platforms. (Presumably the same also applies to 3.1?)

It would be fine for these to be binaries duplicating python.exe, or to be links (which will mean not supporting some filesystems and possibly not some versions of python).

This means that Windows users who add their Python install to the path will have python, python3 and python3.2 on the path. (I believe this means *most* Windows developers.) Which binary "python" and "python3" actually launch when invoked from the command line will depend which comes first in the path.

If the installer is enhanced to (optionally) automatically add a python install to the path then this should follow the "last installed wins" rules as file associations do currently.

An alternative solution, (perfectly acceptable to me) is that when python is installed on Windows "for all users" it could put "python.exe" *plus* the aforementioned version specific binaries into System32 which would automatically put them on the path. This also has the "last installed wins" behaviour for "python.exe" and "python3.exe". (Would it require installing the appropriate msvcrt into System32 as well and is this desirable?)

A generic Python launcher that could be used for the file association and honours the Unix style shebang line, delegating to the appropriate version of python, is an interesting idea but out of the scope of this PEP.

It would be interesting to see if Mark, or others, are strongly opposed to these ideas or have strong preferences. If the biggest downside is really that it still leaves some issues unresolved then lets do this and tackle the other issues separately.

All the best,

Michael

I personally don't
care either way much, but will only do with the Windows installer what
the PEP tells me to do (if anything) (more precisely, I remain -0
on changing 2.7, and +0 on changing 3.3).

So it comes back to you as the PEP author to take a stance, which
you did. It's recommended tradition to record any opposing opinions
in the PEP, along with rebuttals, so that the same arguments aren't
brought up over and over again. If discussion then settles, it's
up to the PEP dictator to approve or reject the whole text.

Regards,
Martin

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil