"Martin v. Loewis" writes:
 > > I’m of the opinion that hg diffs should always use the extended git
 > > format, given their usefulness.  A tool working with hg diffs that does
 > > not support this format is broken IMO.
 >
 > IMO, it's "hg diff --git" that's broken, as it doesn't include the base
 > revision (other formats, such as "hg export", do).

I agree that it's poor form to omit the revisions, and we should
supplicate Mercury at his temple.  But I don't see the problem for
Reitveld integration; they're easily available, no?  At least, so far
in the discussion the "two -r" form has been used, so this should do
the trick:

improved-hg-diff--git () {
    # usage: improved-hg-diff--git BASE TIP
    hg identify -i -r $1