On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Ben Finney <ben+pyt...@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> If you don't want a specific party snooping the site, just block that
> specific party. Why make a walled garden that *nobody* outside can look
> into? That undermines the free exchange of information.

I think the point is that most people aren't comfortable with their
fits, starts, and general n00bishness being published for the world to
see.

Heck, I've got a fairly thick skin but I'm not comfortable asking
stupid questions about compiling or patching Python here on
python-dev. I have trouble with the thought of my idiocy being part of
the public record. Doing things in private feels a lot more intimate
and comfortable.

But you know what? At the end of the day it doesn't matter. Arguments
about private versus public archives are like arguments about
reply-to: there's never going to be a "correct" answer. If this
proposed lists' archives are public I don't have to participate. If
they're private you don't have to participate. Let's just see where it
goes, eh?

Jacob