On 2/6/2012 8:01 AM, Eli Bendersky wrote:

On one hand I agree that ET should be emphasized since it's the better
API with a much faster implementation. But I also understand Martin's
point of view that minidom has its place, so IMHO some sort of
compromise should be reached. Perhaps we can recommend using ET for
those not specifically interested in the DOM interface, but for those
who *are*, minidom is still a good stdlib option (?).

If you can, go ahead and write a patch saying something like that. It should not be hard to come up with something that is a definite improvement. Create a tracker issue for comment. but don't let it sit forever.

Tying this doc clarification with an optimization in minidom is not
something that makes sense. This is just delaying a much needed change
forever.

Right.

This, at least in my view, is the more important point which
unfortunately got much less attention in the thread. I was a bit
shocked to see that in 3.3 trunk we still have both the Python and C
versions exposed and only formally document ElementTree (the Python
version), The only reference to cElementTree is an un-emphasized note:

   A C implementation of this API is available as xml.etree.cElementTree.

Since the current policy seems to be to hide C behind Python when there is both, I assume that finishing the transition here is something just not gotten around to yet. Open another issue if there is not one.

Is there anything that *really* blocks providing cElementTree on
"import ElementTree" and removing the explicit cElementTree for 3.3
(or at least leaving it with a deprecation warning)?

If cElementTree were renamed _ElementTree for import from ElementTree, then a new cElementTree.py could raise the warning and then import _ElementTree also.

--
Terry Jan Reedy