On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 17:42, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:24:21 -0500
> Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
> >
> > IOW you want the sys.modules case fast, which I will never be able to
> match
> > compared to C code since that is pure execution with no I/O.
>
> Why wouldn't continue using C code for that? It's trivial (just a dict
> lookup).

 Sure, but it's all the code between the function call and hitting
sys.modules which would also need to get shoved into the C code. As I said,
I have not tried to optimize anything yet (and unfortunately a lot of the
upfront costs are over stupid things like checking if  __import__ is being
called with a string for the module name).