On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:07:10 -0500
Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:

> > > What's significant and measuring what exactly? I mean startup already
> > has a
> > > ton of imports as it is, so this would wash out the point of measuring
> > > practically anything else for anything small.
> >
> > I don't understand your sentence. Yes, startup has a ton of imports and
> > that's why I'm fearing it may be negatively impacted :)
> >
> > ("a ton" being a bit less than 50 currently)
> >

> So you want less than a 50% startup cost on the standard startup benchmarks?

No, ~50 is the number of imports at startup.
I think startup time should grow by less than 10%.
(even better if it shrinks of course :))

> And here I was worrying you were going to suggest easy goals to reach for.
> ;)

He. Well, if importlib enabled user-level functionality, I guess it
could be attractive to trade a slice of performance against it. But
from an user's point of view, bootstrapping importlib is mostly an
implementation detail with not much of a positive impact.

Regards

Antoine.