On 3/14/2012 6:30 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:

So why not just standardize on that new layout for virtualenvs?

That sounds like the worst of all worlds - keep all the existing special cases, and add one.

The fact is that most code doesn't know about this, only installers or virtual environments. Most code just assumes that distutils does its thing correctly and that binaries are installed... wherever the binaries go.

Again, I have experience with this, as I have edited my own install to do this for a couple of years. The breakage is minimal and it makes things much more consistent and easier to use for cross-platform development.

Right now we are in front of the knee on major 3.x adoption - I would like to have things be standardized going forth everywhere.

Thanks,
Van