On 3/14/2012 1:32 AM, Mark Hammond wrote:
As per comments later in the thread, I'm -1 on including
"python{py_version_short}" in the lib directories for a number of
reasons; one further reason not outlined is that it would potentially
make running Python directly from a built tree difficult. For the same
reason, I'm also -1 on having that in the include dir.

A built tree would look the same as always - the directories would only be moved (if at all) during installation. Thus, you will still be able to run python directly from a built installation.

Also note that the py_version_short will not be in platform installs.

scripts = {base/userbase}/bin

We should note that this may cause pain for a number of projects - I've
seen quite a few projects that already assume "Scripts" on Windows - eg,
virtualenv and setuptools IIRC

If you look at these projects, though, they *special case* Windows to account for the different layout. Removing this difference will allow these projects to remove their special-casing code.

- and also assume the executable is where
it currently lives - one example off the top of my head is the mozilla
"jetpack" project - see:

https://github.com/mozilla/addon-sdk/blob/master/bin/activate.bat#L117

This code actually reinforces my point:

First, this code would actually still work. The section ":FoundPython" sets the PATH to "%VIRTUAL_ENV%\bin;%PYTHONINSTALL%;%PATH%" (L80), which would still allow python.exe to be found and run.

Second, look at that line again. Mozilla actually has edited this code so that the jetpack uses a cross-platform "bin" convention, just as I am proposing.

Third, one element of this proposal is that there would be a key placed in the registry that points directly to the location of the python executable, making locating it trivial to locate programmatically on Windows.

Thanks,
Van