Prepare for a ten-year period of acceptance - so it
would be good to be sure that no further additions are desired within
the next ten years before seeking approval for the PEP.

However, this point I really don't agree with. The packaging ecosystem
is currently evolving outside the standard library, but the
standardisation process for the data interchange formats still falls
under the authority of python-dev and the PEP process.

Maybe I misphrased. By "accepted" I meant "widely implemented". From
the day this gets published until it is really usable, I still believe
10 years is realistic. For example, setuptools doesn't implement Meta-data 1.2, and nearly nobody uses it, 8 years after it was written.

When the packaging module is finally added (hopefully 3.4, even if
that means we have to temporarily cull the entire compiler
subpackage), it will handle the most recent accepted version of the
metadata format (as well as any previous versions). If more holes
reveal themselves in the next 18 months, then it's OK if v1.4 is
created when it becomes clear that it's necessary.

The problem is that flooding people with specifications is a guarantee
that they will not get implemented. So we can have one metadata
specification every ten years; if we have more, none of them will be
implemented (except in the tool of the author of the PEP).

Regards,
Martin