On Dec 11, 2012, at 03:48 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

>I agree. Also, in corporate or similar environments where each
>individual package installation must be approved, having at least some
>timezone data in the base install ensures that all Python code can
>assume the *existence* of timezone support (if not necessarily the
>accuracy of that data).

One other thing that the PEP should describe is what happens on a distro that
has timezone data, but which you also pip install the PyPI tzdata package.
Which one wins?  Is there a way to control it, other than providing an
explicit path?  Is there a way to uninstall the PyPI package?  Does the API
need to provide a method which tells you where the database it is using by
default lives?

Cheers,
-Barry