On 5/17/2013 12:42 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
On May 16, 2013, at 04:52 PM, Terry Jan Reedy wrote:

Do failures only occur during compileall process? (or whatever substitute you
use).

No, they are all post-installation failures in unrelated packages that try to
import pure-Python modules.

What I mean is, is the corruption (not the detection of corruption) only happening during mass compilation of the stdlib? When user imports a single non-stdlib file he has written the first time, does that ever get corrupted.

> AFAICT, the post-installation byte-compilation scripts are not erroring.

I THINK that you are answering my question by saying that corruption only happens during installation mass compilation.

Doing a post-compilation verification step might be interesting, but I bet
backporting atomic renames to py_compile.py will fix the problem, or at least
band-aid over it. ;)

I intended to suggest that py_compile be changed to do that. Then Brett said it already had for 3.4. I see no reason why not to backport, but maybe someone else will.

The main design use of marshal is to produce .pyc files that consist of a prefix and marshalled codeobject. Perhaps marshal.dump(s) should be extended to take a third prefix='' parameter that would be prepended to the result as produced today. .dump first does .dumps, though inline. I assume that .dumps constructs a string by starting with [], appending pieces, and joining. At least, any composite object dump would. The change would amount to starting with [prefix] instead of []. Then py_compile would amount to
  pyc = <pyc-prefix>
  marshal.dump(codeobject, file, pyc)

Terry