On 9 Jan 2014 06:43, "Antoine Pitrou" <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With Victor's consent, I overhauled PEP 460 and made the feature set
> more restricted and consistent with the bytes/str separation.

+1

I was initially dubious about the idea, but the proposed semantics look
good to me.

We should probably include format_map for consistency with the str API.

>However, I
> also added bytearray into the mix, as bytearray objects should
> generally support the same operations as bytes (and they can be useful
> *especially* for network programming).

So we'd define the *format* string as mutable to get a mutable result out
of the formatting operations? This seems a little weird to me.

It also seems weird for a format method on a mutable type to *not* perform
in-place mutation.

On the other hand, I don't see another obvious way to control the output
type.

Cheers,
Nick.