> But if it's only the already security-conscious developers and
> managers who go WTF?, and other environments don't do this by default,
> I'd consider that a "dangerous curve, slow down" sign.

Mitigations:

**Packaging**

  * Upgrade setuptools (distribute, zc.buildout)
  * Avoid easy_install, python setup.py install, and python setup.py develop
    (until it can be verified that the installed version of setuptools contains
     VerifyingHTTPSHandler [1])

https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/history-node/tip/setuptools/ssl_support.py

  * +1 for Pip install -e
vcs+ssh://v...@example.org/username/pkgname@semver@egg=pkgname
  * +1 for Conda
  * +1 for OS packages

**Implementation**

* Python < 3.4 : https://pypi.python.org/pypi/backports.ssl_match_hostname

**Awareness**

* Big red warning boxes: (.. warning:: in RST): Documentation
* This must not be easy to test.
*
http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-10210/product_id-18230/Python-Python.html

--