On 04/06/2014 11:53, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 22:23:07 -0700
Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

[]
Never mind disabling assertions -- even with enabled assertions you'd
have to expect most Python programs to fail with non-ASCII input.

Then again the UTF-8 option would be pretty devastating too for
anything manipulating strings (especially since many Python APIs are
defined using indexes, e.g. the re module).

If the Unicode is slow (*), then obvious choice is not using Unicode
when not needed. Too bad that's a bit hard in Python3, as it enforces
Unicode everywhere, and dealing with efficient strings requires
prefixing them with funny characters like "b", etc.

* If Unicode if slow because it causes heap to bloat and go swap, the
choice is still the same.

Where is your evidence that (presumably) CPython unicode is slow? What is your response to this message http://bugs.python.org/issue16061#msg171413 from the bug tracker?

Why not support variable-width strings like CPython 3.4?

Because, like good deal of community, we hope that Python4 will get
back to reality, and strings will be efficient (both for processing and
storage) by default, and niche and marginal "Unicode string" type will
be used explicitly (using funny prefixes, etc.), only when really
needed.

Where is your evidence that supports the above claim?

Ah, all these not so funny geek jokes about internals of language
implementation, hope they didn't make somebody's day dull!

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
is active.